Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Don't You Have Your Hands Full?

That's a question we are asked quite often, and it is a very legitimate question.  A question that I sometimes ask myself when I feel like I'm buried under a pile of snow.  Yes, we have four beautiful little girls and our hands and hearts are full!  We couldn't ask God for more.  He has blessed us beyond measure!  We did not know God had more children in store for us after we had Ammadea, our fourth and youngest daughter.  When Ammadea was born, we had four children under the age of four.  Annalee and Ellie had special needs, and Abe was still a very hard working truck driver, and yes, I was busy!  Yet, God started working in our lives to open our eyes that we still had room for more.  After all a handful makes five, right?  :)  We had no idea that God would bring Vika into our lives.  We did not look for any children to adopt, but He started working in our lives so that we would be ready to hear His call when He called us.  When I came across Vika's picture on someone's blog, God stirred my heart to cause me to find out more about her.  I started reading about the country in which she lives and that she had been transferred from the baby orphanage to an institution, which is what happens with pretty much all special needs children around the age of 4.  I found some families, who had personally met her, that were advocating for her so that she would find a family soon.  At that point, I had no idea what kind of "institution" she was placed in.  I read about the happy little girl she was and how she loved to dance and laugh, and I prayed that God would take care of her wherever she was.  That same afternoon, I was working in the office, when Ellie got up from her nap like she always does.  She sat on my lap and saw Vika's picture.  She wanted to know what her name was and where her parents were.  I explained to her that Vika was in an orphanage and that she did not live with her mommy and daddy.  Her very first response was, "Well, then she should just be in our family."  I had not even thought that far yet!  :)  For a child, everything is always so simple.  When Abe came home that evening, I shared Vika's story with him.  I was sure he would think I had lost my mind, but God had already prepared him, too.  After much researching, praying and seeking the Lord , we knew that God was calling us to adopt her.  We found a wonderful missionary who was working in Vika's orphanage and gave us an update with pictures on her.  We learned that she was loved and well taken care of. When God calls us to do something, the only thing that God expects from us is to obey.  He will take care of everything else.  Did I have worries and doubts and fears about how we would accomplish such a call?  Yes, we did!  Do I still have worries and fears?  Yes, I do.  Do we know that this is what God called us to do?  Yes, we do! 
 Whenever we are called to do something by the Lord, there is always someone who wants to keep us from obeying God's call.  And whatever obstacles he could possibly put in our way to keep us from obeying, he will definitely put there.  He wants to keep us where we are comfortable.  And there were many legitimate questions that came up, such as shouldn't you wait for when your kids are older and more independent?  Shouldn't you have a bigger house?  Shouldn't we wait for a job for Abe to be home more?  Shouldn't we save up some money first and do ...?  When Jesus called His disciples to follow Him, He never said, first do this, that, and that.  No, He said, "Follow me." And following Him resulted in blessings untold.  We know that He will do that for our family, and we know that He will do that in your life, too.  Proverbs 24:12 says, "If thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not; doth not he that pondereth the heart consider it? and he that keepeth thy soul, doth not he know it? and shall not he render to every man according to his works?"  God opened our eyes to this beautiful little girl.  We know what her fate will be if she is not adopted, and He will hold us accountable for what we know.   He picked her for our family, and we will hold on for the ride and follow His call.  How can we all have a part to take care of the orphans?  If you want God to show you how you can have a part, ask Him!  "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." (Matthew 7:7)  Families that are adopting have many needs, ask God how you can be a blessing, whether that would be financially or watching their kids, running around doing errands, offering advice, managing the paperwork, running a fundraiser, anything that God has given you a gift to do, you can give.  Above all they need your prayers and support, and we can all have a part in that.  When you listen to what He has for you, He will bless you abundantly (Matthew 16:24-27). 

1 comment: