Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Homestudy and the Embassy

I wanted to update on our second homestudy appointment.  It was a great way to start the new year, and we are excited to be moving forward another step.  We love our social worker.  She has so much knowledge and she freely shares it with us even though we don't pay her for agency services!  God has been so good to us by directing us to her through another family currently in the process of adopting from Vika's country.  Our next and final appointment is on Saturday pending Abe doesn't have to work as scheduled.  The whole adoption process so far has really brought us together closer as a couple and a family, and we are really thankful.  But I won't say that we haven't hit some bumps in the road either.  Those bumps will continue to come, but I know that God will pick us up and lift us over those bumps every time. 
On a side note, I was doing my devotions this morning, and it had a great idea-keeping a blessings diary.  It suggests to write down two blessings every day and add to it each new day.  Can you imagine what your list might look like at the end of the year?  I get wrapped up so often with the road bumps in my life instead of focusing on the blessings in my life, and this is a great way to document just how good God has been to us in the small ways and the big ways. 
I thought I would share Abe's experience at the German Embassy.  I have decided that I just have to look at this process with a sense of humor because otherwise you just can't make it through.   So, Abe went there to have copies of his passport notarized.  Now, for the preparation of our dossier, we have some very specific instructions on how it needs to be done.  Nothing can be crossed out, written over, double stamped, etc., etc...  Since Abe had the day off, we decided it would be a great time for him to travel there and get it done because this office is only open for a few hours every day.   The lady in the office was not cooperative in any way, and he came home with a stamp that had been crossed out, written over, and probably in the wrong place on the copy.  I just had to laugh because pretty much everything she was not supposed to do, she did. :-)  I have no idea exactly how we will handle the apostille and further handling of this copy, but I have a feeling, we will be sending it to someone in Germany who is a little more cooperative in following the instructions.   Here is hoping that the rest of the documents are a little easier to complete, although I have a feeling there will be more occasions for a good laugh along the way. 
Off I go to fix some dinner.  I will share the recipe if it is any good on the recipe tab: Meatballs with Peppers and Pineapple... hmmm...? Of course this week is busy with preparations for the homestudy at our house, although I promise I will not go crazy.  I'm too tired for that!  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment